Keeping Your Business in Mind

Embakasi Disaster: EPRA dismisses fresh gas leakage rumours

By Antynet Ford

Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority (EPRA) officials together with Nairobi regional Commander Adamson Bungei have dispelled rumors that there are fresh gas leakages in the Mradi area of Embakasi where a gas cylinder exploded injuring more than 300 people and killing six.

Multi-agency teams from EPRA, the regional police commander, Nairobi City County, and others visited the area hours after claims that there could be a possible disaster following more gas leakage. Bungei and the EPRA officials confirmed by opening the gas cylinders and valves that the area was safe and there would be no other explosion.

They called on the residents of the area to be calm. Earlier during the day, Panic had gripped Mradi village over a suspected fresh gas leak. The residents reported smelling a gas similar to the one that wafted through their nostrils moments before the Thursday night horror.

As a result, an exodus had been underway as families abandoned their homes out of fear of the unknown. Nairobi City County Chief Officer for Disaster Management Bramwell Simiyu said that the area had been secured and a fire engine had been dispatched as a precaution.

The county has also dismissed the rumors of a gas explosion. Up to now, only thirty families are remaining in the social hall where the Nairobi County government has been hosting and feeding victims of the gas explosion.

Acting county secretary Patrick Akivaga said a majority of the victims affected by the fire had been reunited with family members and found alternative accommodation.

“Following tracing and verification of displaced persons, 148 households and 50 businesses were affected by the incident. Psycho-social support for victims and members of the community will continue at the Embakasi Health Facility.” The CS said.

The fire incident occurred after a lorry carrying gas cylinders exploded at around 11:30 p.m., sending a large fireball in the air. As of early afternoon today, six people had been reported dead from burn injuries while seven more were in critical condition, according to an update by the government spokesperson Isaac Mwaura.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.